1. Scholarship/Stipend Regulation
- Once admitted, TIGP students receive a stipend of NT$ 34,000/ month for the first year. For students who perform well, this scholarship/stipend will be extended for 2 more years. Post the scholarship/stipend allowance period, further financial support is dependent upon individual thesis advisors.
- Academic integrity is one of our core values which is taken very seriously and it is your responsibility as a student to know, understand, and follow the Academia Sinica and partner university policies. Violations can have serious consequences, affecting your grades, stipend, academic standing, and future career.
- TIGP students are not allowed to work on or off campus, part-time or full-time. They are not allowed to have a paid internship over the summer either. Fail to follow the regulations will jeopardize students' scholarship/stipend.
- Scholarship/Stipend is not offered during the deferment of study.
- TIGP office will only subsidize tuition fee for international students for 5 consecutive years, during which you only need to pay the same amount as the local students do. If you apply for suspension anytime during those 5 years, the subsidy cannot be delayed for later use.
- The scholarship provided by the TIGP fellowship is tax-free. However, your stipend paid from other sources such as an advisor's grant is taxable.
2. Tax Regulation in Taiwan
The tax year in Taiwan runs from January 1st to December 31st. Taxes for the current year is filed in May of the next year.
For foreigners, if your residency is less than 183 days left in the calendar year that you've arrived in Taiwan, you will be taxed at 18% for all the remaining months of the current year. If your residency is more than 183 days left in the calendar year, the tax rates will depend on your net income for the year. For detailed information please refer to the Ministry of Finance, R.O.C. (Taiwan).
3. Regulations for Taking Leave (includes semester breaks)
TIGP students must submit their applications for leave to the program office before they go on leave. Once a student's duration of leave (including weekends) exceeds certain days (according to the regulation of each individual program), the stipend will be temporarily suspended until the student returns. For details of the regulation, please contact the program secretary.
4. Forbidden Illegal Downloading and Uploading
The students cannot violate domestic and foreign laws when using the computers and networks, such as transmitting or distributing threatening and violence data, nor abusing and humiliating speech. The software that users install, use, download, or distribute should obey the intellectual property rights policy.
5. Required Attendance
- New Laboratory Worker Safety Training Course
- Academia Sinica Ethics Course
- Chinese Language Class-Elementary Level (for international students)
Each international TIGP student is required to take two Chinese classes before graduating:
- Elementary Level One: Autumn Semester
- Elementary Level Two: Spring Semester
For TIGP Elementary Chinese Class Regulations, please refer to the Elementary Chinese Class syllabi and the email from the TIGP office.